Monday 8 February 2010

Blue and Green make Aquamarine

The biscuit is a very insightful little being - it is she who has truly educated me on the palette of primary colours and their more complex little cousins, secondary colours. I have had many a chaotically constructed water colour creation bestowed upon me by the biscuit. In lesson one I was instructed to squidge my finger into the pot of green paint, then splodge it into the blue one and voila! Pure magic, a spectacular Aegean blue masterpiece before your very eyes...
This brings me to two very important pieces of advice that were handed down to me by my mother as an awkward tweenie
1.’Always be true to yourself’ – Be True i.e. don’t tell a lie because GOD is watching, To yourself i.e. To Me!
2. A skirt isn’t always a skirt if it’s a dress
From the moment I received these two nuggets of wisdom, I thought I’d be OK throughout life’s rumpled rollercoaster of ups and downs (NB. On my 16th Birthday I also received a copy of ‘The Prophet’ and a poster called ‘Desiderata’ which had some handy and helpful tips and answers to some of my prepubescent insecurities especially Para 3 see exerpt below)

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

It has only very recently occurred to me how very helpful those two little pearls have been to me.
In fact, had I not been wearing a skirt as a dress as recently as Christmas day 2009, I would have been wearing none other than my underwear!
Which brings me back to the purpose of these ramblings, they are a very long nod to colour, style and my mother, who is certainly the pearl in the heart of my oyster and who’s strong sense of colour, texture and style have been the most wonderful heirloom a daughter and granddaughter could inherit.

No comments:

Post a Comment